Sunday, January 15, 2012

Help Me Settle A Score Here...

I really need some help here.

It all happened last Monday in my Marketing class. I was sat listening to the lecturer talk about marketing basics; four p's, primary and secondary research, etc; when a suspicious word left her mouth and caused confusion to my brain.

After a few minutes of thought (yeah, my mind works slowly) I sussed it. What I believe she was trying to say was the word 'niche'. As in 'a niche market', small market within a larger market. 

What got me was her pronunciation of it. She said it like: 'nitch'. At first I assumed she mis-said it, but the lecturer used the word with the same pronunciation repeatedly. After asking about a few American mates, I discovered they all say it the same. This is one of those things in life that just instantly ticks you off.

They way I'm used to hearing it is pronounced: 'neesh'. Which I thought was the correct way.


So someone please shed some light on my dilemma. I don't like being wrong...

2 comments: