Monday, December 5, 2011

The British Accent

So why? That is my question put oh so simply. What is it about the English (or any other kind of British for that matter) accent that drives girls insane?

This is actually quite a cool pic^


Since the day I arrived in America, everyone woman, regardless of age, keeps asking me to speak. I was selling some of my books back today and the cashier lady asked me to keep talking just so they could hear my voice! As I left, I said: "Thanks", to which she responded: "You have to say a little more than that!". Anywhere else in the world and this would be something that would freak the shit out of me. But being nice I gave her the satisfaction by saying: "Cheers for all ya help today, darling." She loved it.

Note: Do not get the wrong impression that I was flirty with this women, she was in her 40's.


There has been multiple occasions where I've sat down with my mates from the soccer football team and their girl mates come sit with us. As soon as I open my mouth, they look in amazement and start smiling and giggling like twelve year old girls. They always turn to their guy mates and ask: "Is that his real voice?" which is when I usually jump in quick and say something like: "Nah mate, just putting on a proper good accent like, you get me?" Not in a scummy sounding way, but more in a civilised yet street wise manner. They can't believe it and suddenly I'm some sort of Chuck Norris. He's the American equivalent of David Beckham right?

I personally think this is one of those mysteries that is best left unsolved. Because, trust me, I'm not complaining about it one bit! So any other Brits out there her want to have the pick of the birds, get your arse out to the states!

Americans - I love that you love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment